CinemaCon, the annual convention of the National Association of Theatre Owners, will celebrate its 2021 edition four months later than previously scheduled. The next edition of the event, which attracts over 7,500 cinema professionals from around the world, will be held from August 23-26 at its usual site, Caesars Palace in Las Vegas, Nevada. The event had been previously scheduled to take place on April 26-29. Organizers cited international travel restrictions and ongoing restrictions on large gatherings stemming from the Covid-19 pandemic as the primary causes for postponement. “With all the travel, logistical, and capacity concerns for the convention, our 7,500 attendees, vendors, and studio distribution partners, we couldn’t guarantee we could present the kind of show the industry expects in April,” said CinemaCon Managing Director, Mitch Neuhauser. “In close consultation with our studio and industry partners, we are rescheduling CinemaCon for August, when we think we can put on th...
It was another difficult quarter for Marcus Theatres as its parent company, The Marcus Corporation, continues to struggle in recovering lost ground from the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic. Although revenue and attendance remain to be far from their pre-pandemic levels, Marcus Theatres is better financially situated than other exhibitors during the pandemic thanks in large part to its real estate holdings, which include most of its cinema sites. “We believe this remains a significant advantage for us relative to our peers as it keeps our monthly fixed lease payments low and provides significant underlying credit support for our balance sheet,” said Greg Marcus, president and CEO of The Marcus Corporation. Marcus Theatres reopened 80 percent of its theatres in late August as the exhibition industry anticipated the return of new studio releases, starting with The New Mutants , Unhinged , and Tenet . The circuit was forced to close 17 locations in early October, as sudden release sch...